Beware of Pets Chewing on Spring Flowers

With all the spring flowers in bloom, it is important to keep a close eye on your pets to make sure they don’t chew or eat any toxic plants. The following plant types are some that are more common this time of year and are toxic to dogs and cats:

  • Tulip
  • Hyacinth
  • Daffodil
  • Easter Lily
  • Tiger Lily
  • Day Lily
  • Azalea
  • Crocus
  • Rhododendron
  • Clematis
  • Foxglove
  • Morning Glory

In the wild most dogs and cats know to stay away from these plants. However, some of our domesticated pets are more curious than anything and may decide to take a bite out of them.

If you suspect that your pet has ingested a poisonous plant, contact your veterinarian immediately. You can also contact the Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 to use their 24 hour emergency poison hotline for advice. Some common signs of plant toxicity may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain or bloating
  • Pawing at mouth
  • Excessive salivation
  • Lethargy
  • Panting



Mischa was enjoying the sun and being silly while playing in the bush.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Follow Us
Book Online
Featured Pet Photo


Featured Staff Photo