My Dog Ate What?! Human Poop?!

Be careful with your dogs off leash around town, as we seem to have a surplus of human feces, human vomit and garbage hiding throughout the bushes. For some crazy reason, dogs will work as fast as they can to sniff this stuff out and eat it before you can stop them. Yuck!

As it ferments in the stomach, dangerous toxins are released into the body and cause the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Excessive drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Dilated and fixed pupils
  • Shaking or twitching
  • Lack of coordination
  • Lethargy
  • Seizures
  • Death

If you suspect your dog has ingested some garbage, contact your veterinarian immediately.  They may give your pet medication to make them vomit, run intravenous fluids into them to rehydrate their body and give some activated charcoal by mouth to bind with any toxins lingering throughout the intestinal tract. Some pets may even need intravenous antibiotics, intravenous medications to stop seizures or overnight care to watch and make sure that no other reactions occur.

Garbage guts can be fatal to our pets. Let’s keep our town clean!

Below are some photos of little Romeo who decided that eating human poop and/or vomit was a great idea at 10P.M. on a Sunday night. At 3:30A.M. his owner awoke to him shaking violently beside her in bed. His hind end was weak and his pupils were dilated. He was given medication to encourage him to vomit and what you see below is what came up…

Romeo recovered well and has hopefully learned his lesson.


Follow Us
Book Online
Featured Pet Photo


Featured Staff Photo