diarrhea

Save the Human Food for the Humans – Gobble, Gobble! Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is just around the corner! Many of you may have big family gatherings for dinner; some of you may just enjoy a little quiet time with your pets. With all the yummy turkey, gravy and stuffing smells travelling throughout your home, your pets may find it hard to resist not drooling and giving you their best sad-eyed begging for food look. No matter how cute they are, they do not need to stuff themselves with human food.

Allowing your pet to ingest a large amount of Thanksgiving food can lead to stomach upset, constipation, diarrhea or vomiting. It can also put your pet at risk for pancreatitis. Allowing them to chew on bones (raw or cooked) can be fatal. Small pieces can break off and tear or puncture the digestive tract and large pieces can get stuck and cause a blockage in the digestive tract.

Be sure to inform all of your guests of your house rules for your pets. Take your energetic dogs for a long walk before guests arrive. Tired dogs are often (but not always!) better behaved. Allow shy dogs and cats to have a quiet place to go and hide if they are too stressed by all of the houseguests.  It is a good idea to ensure that all pets are wearing their ID collars incase they escape from your home.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Image

Beware of Pets Chewing on Spring Flowers

With all the spring flowers in bloom, it is important to keep a close eye on your pets to make sure they don’t chew or eat any toxic plants. The following plant types are some that are more common this time of year and are toxic to dogs and cats:

  • Tulip
  • Hyacinth
  • Daffodil
  • Easter Lily
  • Tiger Lily
  • Day Lily
  • Azalea
  • Crocus
  • Rhododendron
  • Clematis
  • Foxglove
  • Morning Glory

In the wild most dogs and cats know to stay away from these plants. However, some of our domesticated pets are more curious than anything and may decide to take a bite out of them.

If you suspect that your pet has ingested a poisonous plant, contact your veterinarian immediately. You can also contact the Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 to use their 24 hour emergency poison hotline for advice. Some common signs of plant toxicity may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain or bloating
  • Pawing at mouth
  • Excessive salivation
  • Lethargy
  • Panting

 

Image

Mischa was enjoying the sun and being silly while playing in the bush.

 

Follow Us
FacebookGoogle+YouTubeInstagramPinterest
Book Online
Featured Pet Photo

eagleview_headshots-216_web

Featured Staff Photo

eagleview_headshots-209_web